Witney Minor Injuries Unit

Frequently asked questions

Q:Do I have to make an appointment?

A: No.  The service is run on a drop-in basis and patients are seen in order of clinical priority.  Please be aware that in times of high demand you may have to wait up to four hours to be seen.


Q: What are the links with Accident & Emergency Department at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford?

A: The Urgent Care Service has excellent working relationships with senior staff at the John Radcliffe Hospital and with other hospitals across Oxfordshire.  Staff work closely together to ensure that all patients receive the best possible care. 


Q: What if the x-ray service is closed when I attend?

A: You will be fully assessed by the emergency practitioner.  If an x-ray is required you can either return the next day, following appropriate treatment advice, or you can attend the John Radcliffe Hospital with a request for an x-ray from our practitioner.  Occasionally you will be advised that you will need to attend the John Radcliffe Hospital the same day for review, due to the nature of the suspected injury.


MIUs and FAUs

If your injury is not serious, you can get help from a minor injuries unit (MIU) or first aid unit (FAU), rather than going to an A &E department. This will allow A&E staff to concentrate on people with serious, life-threatening conditions, will save you a potentially long wait and for many people will be closer to their home.

The units are run by specialist emergency practitioners who have extended skills in the management of injury care.


These are located at the following community hospitals:

The three MIUs have x-ray facilities which are available at varying times. 


Minor injuries units can treat:

· sprains and strains

· broken bones

· wound infections

· minor burns and scalds

· minor head injuries

· insect and animal bites

· minor eye injuries

· injuries to the back, shoulder and chest.


Minor injuries units cannot treat:

· chest pain

· breathing difficulties

· major injuries

· problems usually dealt with by a GP

· stomach pains

· gynaecological problems

· pregnancy problems

· allergic reactions

· overdoses

· alcohol related problems

· mental health problems

· conditions likely to require hospital admission

After initial treatment you may be referred to a specialist NHS service or to your local GP practice for follow up treatment.


It is important that you receive the right type of care for your condition and it may be that the MIU/FAU is not the right place for you to be seen. 


· coughs, colds and flu,

· stomach aches,

· chronic (on-going illness).

If you are unsure whether the MIU/FAU can help you please dial 111 where you will receive advice and support about your condition and how to access appropriate care.

Responsible use of the Emergency Department can save lives

Serious injury or illness

If you suffer a serious injury or become very ill you should call an ambulance by immediately dialing 999.  Serious illnesses and injuries include:

· chest pain

· breathing difficulties

· major injuries


Contact the MIUs/FAUs





Opening Hours



10.00am to 10.30pm



6.00pm to 11.00pm Mon-Fri

9.00am to 11.00pm


Townlands, Henley


9.00am to 8.00pm



8.30am to 6.30pm



10.00am to 10.30pm




01865 425161


01869 604121

Townlands, Henley

01491 637435


01865 425200


01608 648262

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website